Wednesday, February 23, 2011

February's Disaster Preparedness Challenge - Food

Our juicer broke last week, and having eight grapefruit that I didn't want to go to waste, I made Grapefruit Marmalade:




Eight grapefruits made about three jars of marmalade - one I am using right now for Pete's peanut butter sandwiches and as an ingredient in sauces, like the Sweet and Sour Marmalade Chicken I made the other night (for Pete - I am still eating vegan). The other two jars I put up in the cupboard for later - this is my third time making marmalade, and after reading a book on canning, I feel confident that they won't spoil not being in the fridge.  I followed very carefully all the steps to make sure that the jars were sanitized and boiled them in a water bath for 15 minutes, and am sure that the jars are sealed.
     It was so much fun, I have decided on making a new goal of canning one thing a week - this week I think I will try my hand at Apple Butter. It is always good to keep extra food on hand in case of a natural disaster,  like an earthquake. As I tend to get sick often, it saves money to have easily prepared food on hand. When friends ask us out to eat, I would love to not just say "no thanks" but invite them over knowing I have food I can easily throw together. And I keep reading that food prices may go up by as much as 20% this year. Because of all these factors, I am slowly working on building a small stockpile of food that will get Pete and I (and neighbors?) through small emergencies. Not enough to get through Armageddon or World War III or a seven year famine or outdo Mormon fundamentalists, just enough for a few weeks or a month.  

     Challenge: Buy, freeze, or can at least one non-perishable food item this week for each member of your family.

Who is in?

2 comments:

  1. I'm not "in" for various reasons but I do support what you are doing. I think it's an excellent way to save some money and to be prepared.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wish I had seen this post in February I would have joined you. My goal for this year is to can at least 80 jars of something. I'm up to 23 but it's always good to have some motivation to keep going.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...